This weekend my gaming group finally sat down and did a field test of Deathwatch. I came up with a small search and rescue mission in a section of ruined city; below you can see the map layout that we used:
The kill team entered the map on the edge where you can see the marines standing. They performed a couple of Perception tests to see if they could detect anything in the first to buildings they came too; however, since we forgot that their helmets gave them a bonus to Perception, they failed and had to gain entrance to the building. The door on the bastion was locked, and the door on the administration building was not. The Techmarine choose to simply punch the door open with his Servo-arm than unlock it. After that, the team split up and slowly cleared the building. Once they reached the top floor, they took another Perception test to see if they could detect anything further down the road. A Shrike and a Magnitute 30 horde of Hormaguants popped up. The Shrike was waiting at the top of the tower and the guants where lurking in the ruined building across the street. We followed the rules for starting combat, but that’s when things got ugly.
To begin with no one was surprised, which I was disappointed by because I was trying to figure out how to do ambushes. It seemed to work but with disastrous effects for the team, since we were using a 1 inch to 1 meter scale for movement. I wanted to make it tough, but they way the combat was going it just seemed off. We also bumbled the damage the librarian and bolters could do to hordes, and to be completely fair, there was horrible rolls going on with the players. I ran the same scenerio last night but changed the scale from the previous scale to a 1 centimeter to 1 meter scale. I also factored in the correct damage for attacking a horde; however, this time the pendulum seemed to swing the other way. The squad had plenty of time to react to the horde and kill it before it got to them, and the Shrike only caused 6 wounds on a single character before he died. I think we’ll be doing another field test this weekend, but I’ll have to do some more experimenting and going to the forums to figure out what, if anything, is going wrong.