This past few months have been incredibly busy around here. I promise you I haven’t stopped. I’ve just been spread pretty thin. However, I will show you things that have been keeping my attention. There’s going to be a lot of pictures and a lot of things I gloss over. You can keep more up to date by following Geek Out Studio’s Facebook page, Twitter feed @GeekOutStudio, or Instagram.
I’ve still been working on various miniatures; however, I haven’t taken any studio shots because the clients have all decided to do their own bases. I haven’t had a chance to meet up with them and take some studio shots of the fully completed miniatures, but I’ll go over some of the work-in-progress pictures.
After I finished the Heldrake, I got started on a couple of costume commissions that were sent in. Both were for Kill La Kill props. The first being Ryuko’s Scissor Blade.
Here’s what it looked like in some photo shoots .
I also got a request for Sasuki’s Bakuzan. This took a little more time, and I’m still trying to figure out how to do the sheath.
Here’s the two props in a nice photo shoot from this year’s Mechacon in New Orleans.
Back to the miniature side of things. There have been three projects that have come across my desk that I’m still working on as more pieces come in. The first was a collection of Bolt Action Marines.
This project was a bit time-consuming since I basically had to hand paint all the marines, but they turned out good.
I should be able to get some nice showcase photos of these guys soon, so keep an eye out for them.
I still work on Warhammer stuff (I promise); however, I have gotten to work on a Warhammer Fantasy piece.
The Wood Elves Orion. This was an interesting piece to work on manly due to the fact that the client wanted it mostly done in fall colors. It was another time-consuming piece because again, I had to hand paint most of it.
This is another piece that I should be able to get some showcase photos of soon.
We’re back to 40k Space Marines. This and one other miniature was done as a test model for a client that wanted a white color scheme Space Wolves army.
With the completion of these two, the client has decided to go ahead and get his whole army painted.
I did have a rather random but cute commission come in. One of my wife’s co-workers wanted me to re-paint a Skylander. Her son wanted a girl Skylander to give to his sister.
This was the starting model. The kid wanted typical “girl” colors: pink and purple. Since it was for a 6-year-old, I didn’t go to crazy with painting it; however, bot the mom and kids did end up absolutely loving it.
Now for some of the personal stuff that have been distracting me. I continue to plod along with my ODST armor, but with most of it reinforced, I have actually begun putting it together.
Some of the other parts like the hip and thigh armor hang off a belt that I need to get. The helmet has been soaking up a lot of time though.
A nice metal undercoat that will help with weathering.
Masked off scratches with liquid rubber.
This is where things got tedious. I plan to do a digital camouflage scheme for my armor. That means lots and lots of stencils over four different colors.
There have been two big events that have distracted me though over the last couple of months.
This was the first. Our first trip to Dragon*Con.
There were lots of pictures taken. 🙂
Last week I was busy working a haunted castle out in the middle of no where, so I guess that was fitting. I got to play a crazy and bloody doctor.
Finally, the big reveal of what has caused me to not post much recently is that I’m moving into an actual studio.
We did some major home renovations recently, and along with that was convert a spare room into a studio. I soon hope to have it completely done and running. I no longer will be cramped into a small alcove, but have a whole room.
Anyway, that’s about everything that’s been going on recently. I should get back to posting regularly, so make sure to check back. As always, share, follow, comment, and all those other wonderful internet stuff.