Project Diary: How to Paint a Fortress of Redemption Part 1

The other week I posted the first part of my Fortress of Redemption build. After a quick trip to Atlanta and weather cooperating, I was able to begin to paint it. This post is both a project update as well as a tutorial on how I am painting my fortress. I don’t use Games-Workshop paints very much anymore, but I will post color equivalence as I go along. Before we begin, I’m breaking this tutorial into parts. One because the project is so large and very time-consuming, but also to show how I do various parts of the model. In this tutorial, I’m focusing on the main color of the fort, or the “armor” color as I like to call it.

STEP 1 Prime

After building was completed I primed the whole model using Floquil Light Gray Figure-Primer. I like this for a few reasons. For one, it’s an actual primer so it will adhere to plastic, metal, and resign while giving a very strong and smooth surface for paint to work on. It covers so much better than any primer GW has put out. A single 3 oz can can prime this whole model.

STEP 2 Base Coat

I base coated the whole model using Testors’ Model Master Custom Spray Enamel Dark Green. This would be equivalent to spraying the whole thing with Catachan Green. Since I don’t ever plan to strip this model and I didn’t use any brushes or an airbrush, I don’t really care that it’s an enamel paint.

STEP 3 Dry Brush

I dry brushed Anita’s Craft Paint Foliage across the entire model. You can achieve the same color using Games-Workshop’s Camo Green. Dry brushing is probably not an accurate term for what you do. I load up a large brush and wipe off most of the paint, but I then press and swirl the brush. The goal of this stage is to not necessarily get the raised edges, but also tinge the model a lighter green while allowing the base color to show through.

Streaks and splotches will probably still appear where ever you begin. That’s why I would do a quick dry brush across raised areas. The paint will also appear extremely bright when you begin, but will dull and darken as it dries.  I’m not too concerned about the streaks that visible as I will be painting all the details and wings different colors. If streaking is a problem or bothers you, then you can always go over the area with Catachan Green or Vallejo’s Olive Grey.

I chose to go with the military green scheme as opposed to the brushed metal look that appears on the box because I want all my military buildings to be uniform. Since I plan on painting an Imperial Bastion and Sky Shield in a similar scheme, I want my fortress to tie into that theme.

I will follow-up with another project update and tutorial as I move on to other sections. The next section will be the floor and tower, so check back. If you have any questions or criticism, let me know in the comments.

Project Diary: Fortress of Redemption

It’s finally done being put together. This was a Christmas present from my wife, yes, I know I have an awesome wife, from the time it was first released, and it has taken me this long to finally begin to work on it. Most of you know that this was release as a piece for the Planet Strike add-on, and I got it thinking to use it in either Apocalypse or just as a really cool piece of terrain, especially with all the nice little Dark Angel details.  Now in sixth edition, it’s an actual fortification choice, so I figured I’d get my butt in gear.

To begin with, I glued only what was absolutely necessary, so the tower, bunkers, walkway, and lascannon all come apart for easy storage.

You can see here where I drilled and placed magnets for the heavy bolters. The walkway and bunkers also have magnets to help keep the structure together when on the game board. The search lights on top of the tower are the only detail that is glued, and the only detail that I’m going to put on this thing. As of right now, the glue for the heavy bolter magnets are still drying. Once those are done, I plan to cover the magnets with green stuff mainly to prevent the magnets from breaking away from the model.

As you can see, there is no secret that this is a very big piece of terrain. Here’s a collection of scouts to help give some sense of size. I can see that painting this thing is going to take some time. Thankfully, I have an air brush that will help speed the process up. If everything works out, I should be able to prime the model tomorrow. Look for an update and maybe even a painting tutorial.