Geek Out Studio Commission: Gambol Shroud Prop WIP

This is a slight deviation from the normal 40k topics that I ramble about, but I’m trying to diversify the blog and show off my commission service Geek Out Studio. Just in case I’ve forgotten or you’re new, Geek Out Studio is a commission service that offers services for miniature paint, prop construction, and costume making. I just started, and things are still a bit frayed. Juggling doing commission services and doing my own stuff, I’m finding things to be a bit strained. I recently finished my first commission: a Dark Eldar Wraithknight.

But enough with the pleasantries, let’s get to the main point of this post: Gambol Shroud.

Black.2

Give a bit of a back story for this commission, my wife and I met a Alice Infinity at Pensacon last year. She was cosplaying as Blake while my wife was cosplaying as Ruby. Long story short, we became friends, and I agreed to build her Gambol Shroud for the next time she wanted to do Blake. I started work on this prop last month. It’s been a challenge matching my schedule with that of the workshop that I get to use, so it’s taken my a lot longer to do than I like. This prop is not as difficult or big as my wife’s Crescent Rose, so when I can get to the shop, things progress quickly.

Gambol Shroud Plans

I started by printing off the plans for the sword and sheath. There are a number of people out there that have posted plans for Gambol Shroud, so you just need to look. This one is actually just a touch on the big side since the computer I printed it from didn’t format it. In the end, it will be barely noticable. Once the plans were printed and taped together, I cut everything out.

Sheath SliceGun Handle

The sheath and pistol part of the sword are going to be 1/2 inch EVA foam. This material is easy to work with, provides some rigidity, but is very light. The sword blade will be sandwiched between the two pistol pieces, and a piece of Masonite is sandwiched between the two pieces that make up the sheath.

SheathSheath Interior

I’ll need to router out the interior for the sword to go in. Once that is done, I’ll line the interior with some corse felt to prevent the sword from sliding out.

Alice's BladeExtra Blades

I actually had enough material to make three swords. Alice’s blade is made from 1/2 inch thick striated bamboo, and the other two are made from 1/2 inch poplar. Both are strong and light weight.

 

Blade EdgeThe swords are sanded down to a blade.

Really, the only thing left to do down is start putting things together. I’ll still need to cut the blade edge on the sheath, but since it’s foam, that shouldn’t be too much of a challenge. I’ll also embed a strip of sheet metal into the sheath. I plan to make Blake’s back unit that she uses to attach her sword to her back. The sheet metal will be used to attach to a magnet that I place in the back unit. Once everything is done, I’ll seal the foam and coat it with Smooth-On 65D. This will give the whole surface a smooth plastic shell.

Anyways, it was a quick and dirty post, but I’ll certainly post more as things get done.