Well, it’s taken me a little longer to get here than I would like, but the pay off is not bad. After scaling the armor, which I post here, I decided to start with the boots. My though process behind this was that the boots had fewer parts, so if I messed up it’s not much of a problem. They are a “fixed size” meaning that I wouldn’t have to worry about strange shapes and comfort as would for pieces that go on the body.
As with any armor, I started by printing and cutting out the templates, which lead to a couple of mock ups and some head scratching moments. Like the toe piece here.
You can see in this picture that I originally left a lot to the fold and other parts of the original template.
Not happy with that I went back to Armorsmith and edited the templates. Having simplified the patterns even more I finally got started in ernest. The heel was the next part that caused a bit of a problem. I had seen tutorials that said to cut the darts out and tape them together, which you can see that I did.
However, that caused a problem with trying to trace the part onto foam. I basically couldn’t get it flat enough to trace. My solution was to simply cut some of the darts back out, and ignore them on the foam. That leads us to basically the stage I’m at now, which is ready for detail work.
I do plan to make a video wrap up once I’m completely done with the boot, so look forward to that. In the mean time, I’d like to know what other people think.
Did our first live stream today. It wasn’t very long. I was mainly just testing the waters and making sure everything on the back in was set up right before I dived in to make it my own.
I just quickly put together the templates for Kelly’s boot armor since Laura’s boots should be in any day now. Here’s the final results
I even did the butt plate real quick.
I can certainly see us doing more streaming as we are always doing something and throwing a camera up to record it all doesn’t take much. I will say though that I have much to learn. It seems like the streaming community is very different from the online communities that I normally hang around in. New lingo, different formatting, what is and it’s expected, are just some of the things I’m figuring out.
I have figured out a schedule is going to be needed, and that I’ll need to stick to it. I feel I should figure that out and where to post it before I get to worried about what it means if someone is hosting me or how long a chat message should stay up.
Keep an eye out though as I certainly do more and more.
It has been way too long since I last did a post. Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram make it easy to forget to do this. However, with that said, I’m back, and I’m going to try and get back into this blog.
Today I’m starting work on building Laura’s Spartan armor based on Spartan Kelly-087. I’m using a new program call Armorsmith Designer to help scale the armor pieces, so they will fit her right. At least that’s how the program is supposed to work. We’ll find out soon. Check out the video below.
There are a few parts I’m planning on 3D printing: gloves and upper armor. Though, speaking of upper armor, I’m still up in the air as to whether or not I put them on correctly. The picture show how they’re on the mannequin.
They look right especially when compared to a really nice high-res picture I found.
You can see the detail in the upper arm plates that is missing from the model I’m using which is why I’m going to see about 3D printing them.
That’s the only update for now. I’m shooting to make some kind of progress on this each week, so I’ll be sure to add a post at least once a week. The other reason I’m shooting to make progress on this armor every week is that we’re shooting to have this done by Questcon, which is the end of October. Let’s see if we can do it.