Well, it’s taken me a little longer to get here than I would like, but the pay off is not bad. After scaling the armor, which I post here, I decided to start with the boots. My though process behind this was that the boots had fewer parts, so if I messed up it’s not much of a problem. They are a “fixed size” meaning that I wouldn’t have to worry about strange shapes and comfort as would for pieces that go on the body.
As with any armor, I started by printing and cutting out the templates, which lead to a couple of mock ups and some head scratching moments. Like the toe piece here.
You can see in this picture that I originally left a lot to the fold and other parts of the original template.
Not happy with that I went back to Armorsmith and edited the templates. Having simplified the patterns even more I finally got started in ernest. The heel was the next part that caused a bit of a problem. I had seen tutorials that said to cut the darts out and tape them together, which you can see that I did.
However, that caused a problem with trying to trace the part onto foam. I basically couldn’t get it flat enough to trace. My solution was to simply cut some of the darts back out, and ignore them on the foam. That leads us to basically the stage I’m at now, which is ready for detail work.
I do plan to make a video wrap up once I’m completely done with the boot, so look forward to that. In the mean time, I’d like to know what other people think.